Followers

Friday, November 16, 2012

European Bicycles

A bike I came across in the Cinque Terra- looks to have weathered the floods

You gotta hand it to the Swiss, well ok, Europeans et al- they have really embraced the bicycle. Everywhere we have visited since we have been living in Suisse, there are noticeably more people riding bikes in the city centers than there are in the USA. Not just people out having a ride around for exercise- you see business men & women, decked out in suits & high heels (respectively), talking on cell phones or smoking a cigarette. Street bikes- nothing fancy, not mountain bikes or super tricked out bikes- just normal bikes. I think some almost look like they are from the 50's.
They use bikes here because its easy. Bikes have their own lanes in traffic, people here actually yield to bicycles!!!  Sadly, somewhat unheard of in the US. At least in Seattle that is. I think cyclist in the US are seen as a nuisance, they get in the way, you have to go around them, & when you hit one- well, it ends up making you late to where ever you were in SUCH a hurry to get to (Costco, Starbucks, Nordstrom). In Europe- there never seems to be this sense of urgency to get somewhere. If you get stuck in traffic here its looked upon as "well everyone else is stuck so why stress about it". Although, if you are on a bike- you get through it by weaving in & out of the cars are usually on time. I'm not going to get into the conversation about the damn scooters though- they kind of drive me nuts. 
I am writing this because since moving here I have become one of those bicycle riders in the city center. It feels good riding next to cars that you hope- see & respect you & share the road. I don't ever get honked at, I don't ever get yelled at for riding in the middle of the road. I feel somewhat safe in traffic here. I'm sure people do get hit on bikes here- they have to, never seen it though. It would be interesting to see a study of bicycle accidents per capita here vs. a city like it of similar size in the US. There has to be more here because of the sheer number of cyclists on the roads. 



Commuter bikes at Gare Cornavin here in Geneve
Speaking of the numbers of commuters- when it quitting time- the amounts of them that spill out on the streets is amazing. Not Beijing crazy- but there are many. Commuters coming out of their offices & hopping on their bikes, people getting off the trains then over to the bike stands to search for their ride home. It really is another reason I love living here. The bike culture here isn't edgy or alternative or even militant like in some US cities, they are just normal people who commute on bikes, go to the supermarkets, movies, out to dinner- live..... Cyclists are out & about @ all hours in our busy part of the city. We hear the conversations between cyclists & their polite little bells as they peddle down the Rue des Paquis. It really does sound much better than those damn loud Maserati's or Ferrari's that like to rev up to show off their horse power. But as those luxury cars are stuck @ the light, the cyclists quietly pass & are almost where they are going to be.
Anyone seen a Dakota bike before??
Anyway- I came across 2 really cool bikes yesterday while out & about- one was a Dakota- I had never heard of them or seen one before. I did a search & came up with nothing even close. I'm thinking they have to be a much older brand as the logo may be somewhat offensive now a days in the US. Great leather seat &  varnished, bent wood fenders. Pretty modern Shimano components so all I can think is that its an old bike that has been modernized. I think I want to go back & leave a note on it to just ask the question "Where did you get this" & to also compliment on a nice looking street bike. I'm sure the owner would appreciate someone appreciating their bike. If anyone reading this has heard of them- shoot me a line- would love to read up on them.
An art bike in Geneve
The other bike I came across was an art bike. Flowers, stickers, stuffed animals, plastic figurines you name it- it was stuck on this bike- kind of fun for sure & surely brought a smile to my face. Gotta wonder what the rider looks like though- Should have hung around long enough to see.





An Italian bike in the shadows- I think I'm going to get this one framed


For some reason- I take photos of bikes A LOT.....






No comments: